Monday, August 13, 2007

Comparing Headlines

The headline of the Washington Post today is "Karl Rove to Resign." The headline of the newspapers in Jordan today? "Government Bans Shawarma." And to be honest the shawarma ban will have a much bigger impact on our lives. Shawarma is Jordan's top-selling and yummiest fast food - its like a gyro with thinner meat (either lamb or chicken) and bread rolled up tightly. They are delicious and before I arrived in Jordan, Dan told me that he has found dinner for a $1.50. His $1.50 dinner is shawarma. Apparantly 200 people got sick from eating chicken shawarma at a refugee camp. I was first surprised that shawarma was available at refugee camps and secondly surprised that the government's response is to close ALL of the shawarma restaurants in the country temporarily.

3 comments:

3XMom said...

Oh man, what a bummer. I have been meaning to ask -- what is your typical daily food intake like? Do you eat lunch at the embassy? Is is American or Jordanian food? What do you have for dinner/breakfast?

Dan & Duffy said...

Breakfast we eat the same thing we ate in DC - Dan eats cereal and I eat granola bars or cheese and crackers.

We both eat lunch every day at the embassy - which is a cafeteria with 3 daily entrees - 2 american and 1 middle eastern.

Dinner is a bit more of a mixed bag - I'd estimated we cook maybe once a week; eat cheese and crackers at home once a week; get delivery one night; and the rest of the evenings are away from the house eating other people's food; eating appetizers at an event or at a restaurant. Last night we had take-out hummus and falafel ($6) and tonight we are going to a hip coffeehouse/bar/restaurant for yuppie pizza with 2 people from Dan's office who are leaving.

Jules said...

That sounds good, too bad you can't get it any more. I was curious as to what you ate as well. I have been sick since Sunday with the flu :(. I think I am finally on the other side.