Saturday, February 21, 2009

Um al-Rasas Revisited

Um Al-Rasas was among the first sites in Jordan we visited because it was listed as a UNESCO world heritage site. We left wondering why it was listed since at that time the mosaics were covered up. The EU has now built a beautiful visitor center and a covered pavilion over the mosaics. This town was a Roman way-station where Roman soldiers stayed on their way back to Rome. It was destroyed (like Petra and every town within 200 miles by a big earthquake) but many of the arches are still standing.



A terrific Tourist Police officer gave us a tour and at one point, he dug eight inches into the dirt and showed us a mosaic floor that has not yet been excavated but was still brilliantly yellow and red (and 1800 years old)





The protected mosaics were very nice and like the much-visited mosaic in Madaba featured pictures of the nearby cities. Here is the Um al Rasas mosaic showing a picture of Madaba.




1 comment:

Kelsey said...

That is amazing. I cannot imagine living in a place with so much history. There's history here in Korea (where I work), but the Korean War obliterated much of it.

By the way, I'm an expat in South Korea, and I found your blog through Life After Jerusalem, and I find your writing really fascinating. I've traveled extensively, and my boyfriend is an ex-FS brat, so the foreign service life has always interested me. Would you mind if I added you to my blogroll? My blog is here: Living Life Frame by Frame