Saturday, April 5, 2008

Pix from Cairo

Last month, I was in Cairo for 48 hours for a conference. So many people had talked about how crazy Cairo was that I was expecting chaos - but our arrival at the airport was easy - there was no traffic to the hotel and the hotel was lovely. The second night after a day of presentations on "Your Career with the State Department" we went on a sailboat cruise on the Nile. Here is me and Joan who was in my same orientation class in DC and is now serving in Jerusalem. I took pictures of the skyline while we are sailing but none of them turned out - you see a big black square and then a few neon signs reading "Hitachi" or "Hilton" but nothing that screams Cairo or even the Middle East.


Here is a picture from my hotel room of the Nile. You can see that there really is air pollution - which you could see but I couldn't tell as I was breathing. Friends working in Cairo say that air pollution means it takes longer to recover from colds and the flu and people with asthma really shouldn't come.

2 comments:

3XMom said...

cool pictures! What causes the pollution? Manufacturing?

Dan & Duffy said...

Manufacturing and 17 million people in Cairo and their cars.