Wednesday, September 26, 2007

The President Likes Me!

On September 20, the President nominated me (oh and 44 other people) "for appointment as Consular Officers and Secretaries in the Diplomatic Service of the United States of America." It still has to get through Senate approval but fortunately this will not require my sitting in front of a Senate panel answering difficult questions about my personal finances and/or campaign contributions.

My official diplomatic title is Second Secretary, which if you didn't look at the chart you might think "oh Condi is probably the first Secretary and I am a close second." In fact, there are many, many second secretaries - our embassy alone may have a dozen. I also like the chart on the left because it includes things under Second Secretary - in our embassy we don't actually have any Third Secretaries or Attaches that are below them - or at least I don't think we do - maybe they are just in bad offices that I never visit.

I just got more information on our Iraq dinner tonight - apparently Iraqi restaurants cater to one region or another. Tonight's will be an Anbari restaurant and we were told even Jordanians would stand out. I don't know what this means - but I stand out at every restaurant that we go to that isn't on the embassy compound.

3 comments:

Jules said...

LOL, that's great! The president likes you! I think it is funny that you stand out in every restaurant. I never really thought about that before. I should have remember that any foreigner of course stands out in different countries.

3XMom said...

Its probably not the foreigner as much as the blonde!! LOL. Wow..a promotion after just a few months... guess they forgot about that whole senators being shot at thing... hee hee

Shauna said...

A promotion already - you'll be an ambassador before we know it!