Wednesday, October 3, 2007

More on Ramadan

I am currently working on a project on tourism and restaurants (here's a picture of my favorite: Blue Fig). I am doing the project with a Jordanian colleague – let’s call him Abdullah. Abdullah is a Muslim who is fasting. His first name clearly indicates that he is Muslim. Jordanians can also tell people’s religion (not to mention their hometown and social status) by their last name – but so far I only know three Christian last names – Naber, Khoury and Swais. I know no one's hometown from their last name.

It has been interesting visiting hotels and restaurants during the day in Ramadan and seeing the impact. Jordanians value hospitality more than anything. Before Ramadan a typically meeting includes ceremonial (and in my opinion barely drinkable) Arabic coffee in [thankfully] tiny glasses. This is followed by one’s choice of tea or Nescafe; water; and sometime cookies. My meetings this month have fallen into three categories – about evenly divided:
  • Meetings with fasting Muslims – who apologize profusely that they can’t offer you anything to drink. They acknowledge Abdullah and he says he is fasting.

  • Meetings with Christians – offer refreshments which I refuse because my colleague Abdullah is fasting. I only refuse once and the refusal is accepted.

  • Meetings with non-fasting Muslims (note: these are a minority in Jordan but not such a minority among the often US-educated business owners I have meetings with) – refreshments are offered. I decline. Abdullah says he is fasting. They press further. I decline again. They order refreshments and push them into my hands they then press Abdullah if he is sure he doesn’t want anything.

We are on day 21 of Ramadan. We are watching the moon closely (it has to go through a full cycle before Ramadan is over) – it is currently waning (that’s where it gets smaller right?) Now this can’t be confirmed until the moon is sighted but if there is a new moon in 10 days we will get a holiday weekend. We are also aware of the days getting shorter now that iftar (fast-breaking meal) is at 6:27 and not 6:45 like at the beginning of Ramadan.

2 comments:

3XMom said...

wow..what kind of a project? Like the embassy will provide visitors with a list of good places to eat? That is pretty cool.

It is interesting that because they are fasting they won't offer you anything. I would think they would still offer and you would refuse, but the offer would be made.

Mast said...

wow! great prespective about Ramadan fasting. Just curious what do these non-fasting Muslims tell when some one ask them Are you fasting?