Monday, May 19, 2008

The Month in Pictures - Qasr Al Abd and Iraq Al Emeer

This weekend we headed out to ruins. Yes it is true that every weekend before we leave Jordan in 13 months we could probably go see different ruins. This is Qasr Al Abd. Palace of the Servant. It is about 45 minutes west of Amman in a town that is nearly all Circassian. I don't know why a lot of Circassians moved to Jordan (I think they were at war with somebody) but they did.


This palace is renowned for its lion and leopard sculptures. If you squint at the next photo you can see a baby cub under the lion.
Nearby is also the caves of the prince. Here you can see Hebrew letters carved into the wall next to the caves. Did you know that Iraq means cave - I only learned this by going to this site but then I confirmed in Arabic class today which was made more complicated by getting a second word that also means cave and then another word for big cave (I guess like cavern)

No comments: