Thursday, May 29, 2008

Book Club Month 2

I have now been to my second book club meeting (although they have been meeting for years). At the first meeting, we discussed Isabelle Allende's novel Inez of My Soul which no one loved.

In May, we read and discussed The Shadow of Kilamanjaro: On Foot Across East Africa about a travel writer (and entourage) who climbed Mt Kilimanjaro and then walked to the coast across National Parks for elephants and rhinos. It was a great read because Africa remains on my "must see" list but also interesting as he discussed the need to walk with multiple armed guards in case of an elephant or lion attack. Several of the women in my book group had visited or worked in Africa (either as Peace Corp volunteers or with AID) and had their own Africa safari stories. One second-hand story (a friend of 2 book group members) involved kayaking in Zaire? Zambia? and have the boat knocked over by a crocodile which then ate the second kayaker and the woman swimming two hours back to where they had started paddling and then being suspected of murder.

Our June book is Winter in Kandahar which I haven't started yet - it's pretty long but I am only halfway through my current book The Host by Stephanie Meyer and want to finish it. I highly recommend her teen vampire romances - this one is purer science fiction about a species of "souls" that live in human body "hosts." I don't like it as much but I still want to find out what happens.

I highly recommend Julia Child's My Life in France a memoir about her time at cooking school and writing cookbooks in France.

No comments: