Sunday, October 5, 2008

My absentee ballot arrived

My absentee ballot arrived today. Earlier today, I had read an article in the WSJ that talked about the growing use of absentee ballots and how it means that there isn't voting day but voting month.

I discovered one of the great things about absentee ballots - Google! Normally, on election day if there is a race I am not following - I vote by party or I will vote for the female candidate. But Google and my absentee ballot means I can research some candidates. For instance, in New Jersey, Jeff Boss is on my ballot as both a presidential and senatorial candidate. Under party, it lists "Boss for Senate" - I have no strong opinions about Sen. Lautenberg or his Republican opponent Dick Zimmer - so this is a vote where I might vote for the Libertarian (Mr. Jason Scheurer) or maybe the guy whose party is the "Boss for Senate Party." But now with Google, I am able to discover that Mr. Boss seems very opinionated about NSA and I am not sure I share his concerns. I fear Mr. Boss has possibly lost my vote.

On his website, he does ask me to tell 10 friends and for them to tell 10 friends. I have now told 10 people - the rest is up to you.

Now before you write that all people who run for president outside of the two party-system are crazy, I want to note that my friend Andrew was a candidate for President in 2004 and he is not crazy.

Now, I am researching Mr. Gary Stein of the "Rock the Boat" party ... another good name but alas no website, which makes me question how seriously he is taking his campaign.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I find it interesting what folks are doing/thinking about in politics these days. With Bush being elected, I think the mystique of "being presidential" has been somewhat...lessened. That, combined with what I perceive as growing frustration with how our country is being run, will probably lead to more Ross Perot-type candidates (not Dem/Rep, but running for high office). While electing Ross may have ultimately been bad (he was not quite right in the head), reminding folks they don't just have to vote for a democrat or a republican is a good thing.

The thing to remember about folks that run for office on a whim is this: they've already demonstrated a capacity to be impulsive...is that what you really want in a leader? (this message brought to you by the Booth for Senate campaign) :)

3XMom said...

i disagree -- Andrew is crazy

falk said...

Andrew may be crazy, but he got 219 votes as a write-in candidate and out-polled Ralph Nader in Corpus Christi, Texas. More importantly, Andrew would've made a better president than the one what we ended up with!