Monday, August 20, 2007

Ordinary weekend - mall, coffee, groceries

We are in the second week of the shawarma ban. Chicken producers are complaining loudly but health officials point to the fact that people have died. In other death news, the talk of the office is a pet camel killing its owner.

This week, I am heading to Petra again for work. This time I will actually get to visit the park - twice! On the second time, I'll be leading a big group so the first time is for me to be able to say knowledgeably "this is the Treasury." The bad news is that we had to postpone our first party until Saturday because I will be out of town. I think Dan know believes that we unpacked for nothing.

We spent this weekend enjoying our car. We drove around trying to get our bearings with a lot of "I've never been on this road but I know we live west of here." We drove to Jordan's biggest mall and drank Starbucks coffee and went to the movies. I successfully purchased a watchband with only knowing the word for "watch." I think the fact that my watchband was falling apart made it easy for the storekeeper to understand my meaning.

We also went to the grocery store where we debated how much of a premium is one willing to pay for beef from "New Zealand" over beef from "China." We also bought really delicious mixed nuts that I keep eating and which may not last until the party - especially now that the party is on Saturday.

1 comment:

Jules said...

Well, hopefully, it will still be a good party. I am glad that you bought a watch. I am also glad that you got your car.