Monday, August 27, 2007

Uprooting Washingtonians


Okay – last week was a good week for me work wise. Presumably because I wasn’t the duty officer (not until October) but also because I got to do some cool stuff. I got a tour from an archaeologist at the American Center for Oriental Research at their Amman headquarters. Before I left my cousins Tine and Wyman gave us a DVD of Petra and it included some of ACOR’s research including scrolls from 400 a.d. that I got to see (kept in a cardboard box). I also then traveled with visitors and palace officials. In Petra, we received guided walking tours by the Park’s director AND we got to drive the route back. Normally Petra is an in and out trail – but we got to walk in (downhill) and then drive out (as the weather got hotter) because we were traveling with palace officials. If you ever have the chance to travel with palace officials I recommend it because they are very nice AND things seem to happen successfully around them.

For those of you following the chicken shawarma ban here in Jordan – the newspaper reports that “certain restaurants” will be allowed to open in one week after passing a health inspection. In other news, the city is working on tearing up trees that have been planted in the sidewalks rendering the sidewalks useless. The worst of the trees are known as Washingtonians. I do not know why but have my suspicions– they are enormous, fat ugly evergreens.

1 comment:

Jules said...

Wow, it never seems to end, with all of the interesting things you get to see and do. It is so cool. Thanks for posting.