Sunday, September 16, 2007

Meat Parties ...mmmmm meat

As Auric Goldfinger said “Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action.” Three times in three weeks Dan and I have been invited to meat parties. Party number one: colleague serves sausage and smoked meats smuggled back from Paris. Party number two: a different colleague serves pork and smoked meats smuggled back from Prague. Party number three (last night): a third colleague grills us fabulous American steaks bought dearly on the one day that American meat was available at the grocery store.

We’ve been asked many times if there is anything that we miss in Jordan that kind friends and family could send to us. In fact, most things are available here (for a price). The exception however is decent meat and so when someone has some they tend to use it as an excuse to throw a dinner party. Jordan’s domestic meat supply is limited to chickens and some so-so lamb. I’ve also seen goats around the country but have not seen it offered in stores – they may just be used for cheese and yoghurt. We have been told NOT to buy the Chinese meat available in the grocery store. You’d think this would mean that we would become vegetarians but in fact it has mostly meant we don’t cook much – instead living on falafel, spaghetti and dinner parties.


Homer: Look kids! I just got my party invitations back from the printers.

Lisa: [Reading the invitation.] "Come to Homer's BBQ … Dad! Can't you have some other type of party, one where you don't serve meat?

Homer: All normal people love meat. If I went to a barbeque and there was no meat, I would say 'Yo Goober! Where's the meat!?'. I'm trying to impress people here Lisa. You don't win friends with salad.

3 comments:

3XMom said...

yummm..meat. I don't see us shipping you any steaks or hamburger patties soon. Even in dry ice, I don't think it would go well (or that we would be allowed to ship it). Does Omaha steaks deliver to Jordan?

Dan & Duffy said...

No - this wasn't a cry for care packages just an observation. And to add to the streak we were just invited to a HAM party on Friday.

Jules said...

LOL, I do like meat. I think this is interesting. I suppose that you would kinda be wondering about the mystery meat from China. Wow, steak, ham, sausage, pork, and other smoked meats; they sure sound good. LOL