Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Introducing Ricky Rice

Previously in the blog, we mentioned going to the US Rice Federation dinner. Well we just got photos and now you can see me, Dan and RICKY RICE (large white thing below). This dinner was a cooking contest. Five Jordanian housewives cooked dishes featuring American rice. Note: Rice while a staple of the Jordanian diet is not grown in desert-dry Jordan - it is imported. I am told that Jordanians prefer American rice - sold under the Tiger and Uncle Ben's brands but it costs more than Egyptian rice. While the housewives were cooking their dishes (chicken with rice, chicken with rice, fish with rice, chicken with rice, chicken with rice), there were innumerable drawings. Good news: I won! Bad news: the prize I won was 25 kilos of rice (55 lbs). Other people won 110 lbs of rice.
The evening was MC'd by a local television personality (you can see her standing behind Dan and next to Ricky) and also featured quite possibily the worst magic show I have ever seen. The nice thing about the magic show was that the magician had a trick that involved disappearing rice and a trick that turned white paper into currency and photos of the royal family - always a crowd pleaser.


3 comments:

3XMom said...

55lbs of rice? That would probably take me a decade to eat. And I LOVE rice.

Dan & Duffy said...

But now I can't say "I never win anything."

3XMom said...

there is that!