Wednesday, June 4, 2008

National Gallery of Fine Arts - Picasso Exhibit



Dan and I went to Jordan's National Gallery of Art for the first time last night. I had previously been to the restaurant but neither of us had been to the museum. We went for a reception in honor of Delta airline's inaugural flight to Amman and their offer of shipping an Arab women's art exhibit for free. The reception had the usual speeches and canapes but we also had a chance to walk around the museum.

We were in the new building which had three floors with the top two exhibiting modern Arab art which we liked. The first floor had the traveling exhibit - a show of Picasso's ceramics. You are probably thinking - "wow, Picasso did ceramics? I have never seen those." You have never seen them because they are not good. One of the best exhibits I have ever been to was the U.S. National Gallery's exhibit on Picasso's early work. I loved the exhibit because it showed how talented he was as an artist and how he transitioned from a traditional to a modern style. I do not doubt Picasso's talent and I love modern art and am not likely to say "my kid do that." But these ceramics were disappointing. If Dan and I had bought one at Sotheby's (no doubt for a fortune) and then invited people over to see our Picasso and they saw these smiley-face dishes you would laugh at us. I now see from a Google search that we could buy one of these for $9,500 (less than our Saturn). Wanna see our Picasso?


1 comment:

3XMom said...

yeah, really bad. My girls could totally have done these.