Sunday, September 7, 2008

Captain Abu Raed update

I read in the paper this weekend that Captain Abu Raed will be nominated by Jordan as its entrant in the Oscars best foreign language film category. In the article, the Royal Film Commission mentioned the many excellent Jordanian films it had to choose among - but to be honest I think there are just two feature-length films this year (and indeed ever) - I don't think you can nominate shorts for the category. We hope it wins - but I have to admit that the last two foreign language winners: Counterfeiters and Lives of Others were both better than Captain Abu Raed.

Collaborative filtering is the feature on Netflix (and Amazon, Tivo and elsewhere) that calculates what other movies you will like. Today when I went to Netflix to add some movies about Trinidad the headline was

We think you will enjoy: The Rape of Europa ... perhaps "enjoy" is the wrong word.

No comments: