Sunday, September 14, 2008

My Day of Opposites


Thursday was a great day. I went to a cement factory AND to a fashion show. The cement factory was probably heaven for 5 year old boys as I saw explosions, dump trucks, and bull dozers in action. I got to wear a hard hat, a neon vest, safety goggles, heavy boots and I could justify wearing jeans to work.
Here is how cement is made:
1. You explode the side of a mountain until you have bolder size rocks
2. You crush the rock – you need to use four different kind of rocks in a particular recipe
3. Then the crushed rock in the right combination is heated in a 1500 degree oven
4. The resulting product is cooled and crushed – voila cement.

At one point on the tour we are standing next to the first crusher and a dump truck pulls up to dump a load of limestone into the crusher and the plant manager next to me wisely steps back, which I notice too late and in my enthusiasm to watch tons of limestone falling into a crusher I am covered with dust (and it is Ramadan so I good not quickly gulp water to get the taste of dirt out of my mounth).

That night (after a shower and a change of clothing), I went with a girlfriend and my Arabic teacher Ghadeer and her sister-in-law Looma to a charity fashion show for a deaf school. The fashions started from a Jordanian style – a long dress with a robe and usually some Palestinian-style embroidery but the pieces were done in silks and chiffons and sparkles – so it was not your everyday embroidered dress.

No comments: